It took me 10 years to be able to watch the match again.
Why?
Because when it happened 10 years ago, I fell to my knees, skinning them up and making them bleed and fell into the fetal position for at least five hours … that is what the Undertaker meant to me.
Why did the Undertaker mean so much to me?
Because when I started watching wrestling around Wrestlemania one, there was only Hogan really that held the belt and I wasn’t really a Hulkamaniac!
We have to fast forward to 1991 at the Survivor Series when the Undertaker made his debut. When I saw him, I finally had my hero. From that moment, up to the moment he retired the Undertaker has been my favorite wrestler and my hero.
I would dress up in an Undertaker shirt to watch Monday night raw all through the attitude era. I would draw the Undertaker symbol on my forehead and sit there and watch every match he ever wrestled.
(On another note, 10 years ago before Wrestlemania 30 I got the undertakers symbol tattooed on my wrist.)
We come to Wrestlemania 30 and the Undertaker was 20-0, Undefeated at wrestlemania. I was so sure my Undertaker would remain that way.
In walks Brock Lesnar.
In one is considered by me one of the most brutal matches for me to watch the Undertaker be put through. We watched the Undertaker be f5’ed Three different times. The third time Lesner gets the pinfall.
The WWE universe was silent. Except for one little girl who had just skin her knees up bleeding, screaming and crying on the floor because her Undertaker had lost his streak.
That girl was me.
Now I’m looking back 10 years later, I understand that the Undertaker had to lose at Wrestlemania 30, he had been going strong in the WWE up to that point, and it was time for Undertaker to wind down and retire.
Only one man could defeat the Undertaker and not have his career completely destroyed by it and that was and is Brock Lesnar.
Brock Lesnar did not care about the opinion of the WWE universe. He was just there to conquer and devastate and win. Lesner did all that and then some. And yes, Undertaker did get his revenge on Lesner after Wrestlemania, that’s a whole different ballgame in my opinion.
I used to think this was the worst match ever in WWE.
I don’t think that anymore.
Looking back now 10 years after the fact and I watched it again recently … it tells a story that needed to be told. It was time for Undertaker to lose on the grandest stage of them all so that he could gracefully Retire.
I still hate Brock Lesner. I don’t hate Paul Heyman, because if it wasn’t for Paul Heyman, the Undertaker would’ve never been in the WWE to begin with.
For a while, I was butt hurt at the Undertaker for losing, but that didn’t last very long because he was still my Undertaker and he could do wrong.
So here we are 10 years later, and with no begrudging feelings or hatefulness in my heart, I can honestly say that I am not mad at Brock Lesnar, or Paul Heyman… Least of all at the Undertaker.
Wrestlemania 30 happened.
The streak ended.
But the legacy of the Undertaker cannot be extinguished. It is eternal. And it’s a damn good legacy.
Happy 10 year anniversary to losing the streak!



No comments:
Post a Comment
I reserve the right to approve or delete your comments... It's my blog.