First off I want to say I love GHOST, I think Tobias is a great guy and that his vision for the band was a unique blend of everything he had within him as an artist...
but let's be REAL for a moment, shall we?
Ghost hasn't been Ghost in a long time.
Probably since the album MELIORA. Ghost gradually lost it's way. It stopped being about what it was founded on and became, like I've heard so many say, Scooby-Doo music. Im not saying that the music from Meliora to Skeleta sucked, no, on the contrary there are some real great songs in there, what I am saying is the heaviness of what Ghost was and stood for fell away and it became something not so intimidating... and in my opinion, in becoming THAT, reduced the life expectancy of Ghost significantly.
Now I know this is going to raise some ass hairs of MOST Ghost fans or rub them the wrong way.
Look, I love Ghost, have since day one, and I always will. I was a OG Ghost fan. A ride or die. A true fan. I don't say this lightly and I don't take any pleasure in speaking the truth of the matter.
So Tobias announced at the end of the Skeletour that Ghost is taking a "MUCH NEEDED" break. Fine. Good. Tobias has been going 10+ years non-stop creating and touring. That's good that he's finally gonna take time and BREATHE! LIVE! and just be himself.
The reality of the situation is...
don't expect Ghost to return.
NOW NOW NOW... don't go all psycho on me.
Let me explain.
Look at what has happened recently in GHOST. Tobias created Skeleta, became Papa Perpetua, and toured... his new look revealed to be HALF a mask. All through the press, he said he hated the mask, hated feeling trapped, hated this hated that...
He's burnt the fuck out.
He did NOT release a lot of things with Perpetua like he used to with Copia and past Papas. This tour ... he's been relatively QUIET with Perpetua making him more quiet/mute and less out front. Tobias himself pulling back... even though the half mask reveals more of himself than ever before, he's still pulling away from Ghost... from what it is.
Now it is said through out recent interviews and press that he is working on other projects NOT Ghost related... he's tired of Ghost, tired of the same ol' same ol' tour and album after tour and album.
Don't look for Ghost to return.
I think it's time to safely say, Ghosts run is officially over. It's better to end it now before it becomes a joke of itself and gets no respect (it barely does now as it is).
I wouldn't be surprised if Tobias goes back to a different feel and just quietly retires Ghost.
Now I could be wrong.
I am NOT the official voice of Ghost nor do I speak for Tobias or any member of the band. I am speaking as a musician and an artist myself. Someone who has been around the rock/metal scene since a young age and knows people... knows things... and knows the business.
I don't pretend to know what Tobias is thinking or what his plans are. I know NOTHING.
What I am saying is my own opinion and EDUCATED guess.
I could be completely wrong. Dead wrong. And in which case I would admit it openly like the mature adult I am.
Regardless if it happens or not...
Thank you Ghost, Thank you Tobias Forge for putting out the music and feel you did. For all you created and shared.
All Hail Ghost, cause When you have Ghost, you have everything.
Edit: for the bully in my comments ...
And the link....
https://www.nme.com/news/music/ghosts-tobias-forge-on-decision-to-step-away-after-current-tour-physically-and-mentally-i-need-to-be-home-3931034

"I know Ghost, trust me i know what he's thinking so I'm gonna spew all this conjecture with no evidence to back it up and make it sound true. But I might be wrong too, I just want to sound like an expert."
ReplyDeleteSpeaking in ultimatums making it sound like you know beyond a doubt what goes on inside that mans head when you have no more an idea than anyone else. I saw him last month on Skeletour and he didn't say anything about being burnt out or anything even close to what youre talking about, so much for you 'admitting youre wrong' like you said you would
You have no balls so you have to be anonymous don't you?
DeleteHe said it in recent interviews... I guess you don't read though...
Children these days.